Wednesday, January 15, 2014

The growing that will happen at the end of the tunnel

Today is day 9 in the hospital, and the walls are definitely starting to cave in on me.


The incessant beeping, fluorescent lighting, doctors and nurses at all times, needles, tubes, endless medications... It all wears a person down. Not to mention I have never been away from the Irish Boxer Husband (who visits everyday), Monkey (who has been brought by once) and Lion Cub (who charms all the nurses) for this long. And the garden, too! Thank goodness for my wonderful friends who do all they can to keep me sane and fighting.

So to try and stay positive, I figured I would start planning out my 2014 growing. In a fit of just-because-I-am-stuck-here-doesn't-mean-I-can't-do-some-damage, I ordered a mess load of fruit trees. I also have all the seeds I ordered and also saved from last year's crops. So in a nutshell, here is what I am setting myself up for, existing and new:

Trees/fruit

  • Low Chill Apple, 3 on 1 
  • Flavor Grenade Zaiger Pluot
  • Gold Kist Apricot 
  • Burgundy Japanese Plum 
  • Saturn Peach Tree 
  • Black Beauty Fruiting Mulberry 
  • Snow Queen Nectarine 
  • Hachiya Persimmon 
  • Fuyu persimmon
  • Desert Gold Peach
  • Babcock Peach
  • Garden Prince Almond
  • Spice Zee Nectaplum
  • Meyer lemon
  • Mexican lime
  • Nagami kumquat
  • Black Mission fig
  • Hass avocado (he needs a friend!)
  • Raspberries (Heritage, Fall Gold) and Blackberry (Triple Crown)
  • Southern low-chill blueberries, I forget the exact types
  • Sequoia strawberries

Vegetables
  • Tomatillos, green and purple
  • Tomato: Amish Paste, rainbow cherry mix
  • Green Globe artichoke
  • "Summer Melody" squash mix
  • Kabocha squash
  • "Mixed fingers" eggplant mix
  • Bush beans: Contender, Tendergreen
  • Pole beans: yard long, Rattlesnake
  • Buttercrunch lettuce
  • Cucumber: lemon and straight eight
  • Peppers: Chinese Giant and Tam's JalapeƱo
  • Red orach -- very curious about this one!
  • Garlic: Music, Russian Red, Elephant, CA Early have all been planted along with shallots

Herbs
  • Basil basil basil!
  • Cilantro, slow bolt
  • Garlic chives
  • Chives
  • Thyme
  • Maybe a few others... IBH got me a pack of seeds and many I am not even familiar with

Flowers

  • Sunflowers
  • Nasturtium
  • Cosmos (no choice here -- they are volunteering all over the place)
  • Calendula
  • Wild flowers

I don't know where I am actually going to *put* all of these... But it should be an exciting summer!

1 comment:

  1. You've got some awesome plans! We are working on similar plans right now and ordering trees and seeds. I'm so sorry you're stuck in the hospital and hope you can get back home soon.

    ReplyDelete